Wednesday 15 May 2013

Learning to Dance


Until recently, I'd thought that being able to dance was an opportunity I'd missed out on.

Moving to music at a bar/club/wedding reception is simple enough, but learning and performing choreographed steps is pretty foreign to me. Apparently, I took dance when I was five and hated it. That was almost twenty years ago! People who dance are usually graceful, dramatic, and expressive, and I admire their confidence. An active life-style is healthy in so many ways; physically AND mentally.

With the exception of some swing-dance in high school, and a bit of belly dancing while living abroad, I haven't taken a dance class. I know my coordination is lacking, and I have no rhythm, but practice will improve that, right? When I was learning basic belly dance moves, I hula-hooped to get better. [Unfortunately, I failed at my 2008 New Years resolution to hula-hoop every day for the rest of my life].

A friend and I wanted to take a belly dance class this summer, but instead decided on a jazz class! If Britta on Community can take dance as an adult, why can't I? Maybe I'll be an awkward teapot as well one day.

[Side note: I purchased a leotard at American Apparel and found a neat way to reuse the sturdy brown bag that it came in; it makes an excellent storage container for my headbands, hair clips, scrunchies etc.]


At the first dance class, the enthusiastic instructor taught us foot positions/hand positions, stretching, and even a few dance moves [they had French names that I can't remember]. It was great to learn alongside other adults who had also recently discovered dance. The instructor even agreed to use songs from The Great Gatsby soundtrack in future classes, as myself and another student are big Gatsby fans. Though I often nervously forget where my feet are supposed to move, I will improve, and I'll have one less regret in life!

No comments:

Post a Comment