Sunday 22 May 2011

Julie's Organic Sorbet - Blackberry

A healthier alternative to ice cream? From the outside, this product looks amazing - only 60 calories per frozen fruit bar, which contains all natural/organic ingredients. Though I haven't called the company, all ingredients appear gluten free.



Two problems:

1) The taste - These remind me of Sun Rype fruit snacks. There's nothing wrong with Sun Rype fruit snacks, but basically, they are a quick way to have "fruit" during a busy day. If you purchase Julie's Organic Sorbet bars with the intention of replacing a delicious dessert, it doesn't really work.

2) The price - $5.99 CDN. Most frozen gluten free or specialty products (bagels, bread, desserts etc.) hover between $5-7 dollars per package. Though people with celiac disease can claim a certain portion of this on their taxes, each grocery trip is pretty expensive. Trying new products for the first time is always a gamble, and this is why I'm blogging about my own experiences.

Verdict, I will look for a real ice cream or frozen yogurt that doesn't contain gluten or mystery ingredients, and I'll eat some real fruit on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment