Thursday 14 February 2013

"Almond Protein Hit" Bounce Energy Ball



After my run on Monday, I tried an "Almond Protein Hit" Bounce Energy Ball for the first time. It was so good - I've been carrying around the empty wrapper in my bag for four days in order to blog about it!

As I mentioned in my last post, my doctor recommended that I take in more protein and carbs to slow my super-fast digestion. Before this, I'd been suspicious of protein bars (remember the movie Mean Girls? Lindsay Lohan secretly tries to make Rachel McAdams gain weight using protein bars).  However, in moderation, protein bars can be handy and healthy. Each Bounce ball has 12g of protein and 210 calories.

It was delicious! The almond is like a thicker version of peanut butter, as it is mixed with whey protein. Not only does it taste amazing, but it's gluten-free, free of artificial preservatives, and GMO free.

Ingredients:
Almonds, Brown Rice Syrup, Frutrim (Grape Juice, Pear Juice, Brown Rice Starch), Whey Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Hydrolysate), Rice Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Crisps (Whey Protein Isolate, Tapioca Starch, Calcium Carbonate, Sunflower Lecithin), Brown Rice Flour, Rice Bran, Natural Vanilla Extract, Guar Gum, Sea Salt, Natural Almond Flavour, Mixed Tocopherols. No Artificial Preservatives. Contains: Almods and Products Derived from Milk. May Contain Eggs, Peanuts, Soy, Sesame Seeds, and Tree Nuts.

Only question: Why does it taste like cherries? I was surprised that cherries were not on the ingredient list.

The bars retail at $2.49 - a bit expensive compared to other health bars, but I'm going to purchase one a week until I try MORE flavours!

[A COMMENTER NOTIFIED ME THAT NOT ALL FLAVOURS ARE GLUTEN FREE, SO CHECK THE PACKAGE BEFORE EATING]

- Cashew and Pecan Delight
- Coconut Macadamia Protein Bliss
- Fudgie Walnut Treat
- Peanut Protein Blast
- Spirulina and Ginseng Kick




7 comments:

  1. Hi, I just discovered your blog and love it! so I'm following you here!, I leave mine on if you want to follow me, many kisses!
    http://siempremisspetula.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're enjoying the posts! I'm following your blog now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I think the almond one is FANTASTIC! And I've been meaning to blog about them too but haven't found the time (its on my list of eventual posts). I went back to the grocery store and picked up one of each flavour to try out but when I got home I discovered that they aren't all gluten free. Look at the bottom of the front package to make sure it's listed as gluten free. Off the top of my head, the walnut brownie one is GF. Fingers crossed you haven't tried any of the non-GF ones yet!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for letting me know that! I just added a warning into the post. It's so confusing when only some flavours of a product are gluten free. Luckily, I haven't tried another one yet, but I will read the labels closely.

      Delete
  4. Phew! Glad you didn't try either of the non-GF ones. That would have been terrible! :-S

    I was totally in the same thinking boat as you. I had the the ginseng one opened and ready to pop in my mouth when I noticed it didn't say Gluten-Free on the package. Then I had to pull out all of the others to check them out. I noticed that the non-GF ones had oats so I guess they are not certified GF oats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that case I'll keep checking the labels, maybe the company will switch to GF oats if that's the only problem-ingredient!

      Delete
  5. Great info! I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have.
    whey isolate protein powder

    ReplyDelete